Jambalaya, Hello Delicious!

I love food, seriously, but I'm a little picky. I'm not the kind that just eats everything, it has to taste really good.  If you didn't know, I am from the South, and in the South we love spicy food and we love seafood.  A little over a month ago my family switched over to Paleo, which is basically avoid dairy, grains, processed and unhealthy food. The switch meant a lot of recipe searching, experimenting and trial and error. I tried making Paleo pancakes....no, they were not good at all. AT ALL.  I've tried other recipes and tweaked them to my liking and I will post them here from time to time. Who doesn't like healthy food that actually tastes good!?  So, here it is, my delicious Paleo Jambalaya!

You'll Need:
5 cups chicken broth (I prefer Swanson brand, it really does matter)
1/2 white onion
3-4 stalks of celery
1 can diced tomatoes (I used the garlic and oregano blend)
4 cloves garlic (I'm not obsessed with garlic or anything)
2 bay leaves
1 lb shrimp (whichever size, and to save time buy the de-veined, no tails kind)
4 oz chicken
1 pkg Andouille Sausage (again, it matters to buy specific)
3 tbs seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's)
Rice or 1 head of cauliflower

How To:
First I cut up the chicken into pieces about the size of my thumb as well as the onion and put them together in a skillet to cook over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and chicken until they are nearly carmalized. While those are cooking get a giant pot (serious) and put it over medium-high heat. Cut up the celery and put into the pot along with the canned tomatoes. Don't forget to stir the chicken and onions. Next add the chicken stock and bay leaves to the pot. Now the chicken and onions should be almost ready, when they are, add the shrimp to the skillet to let it cook alongside the others and add one clove of garlic (smash it with the flat side of your knife) and cover it. Add 3 cloves of smashed garlic to the giant pot along with the seasoning. Finally, cut up the sausage and add it to the pot. Once the shrimp is cooked add it all to the pot and let it simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes. While the pot is simmering cook your rice or rice cauliflower for the final touch.  Once all is complete, enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts